Saturday, August 04, 2007

Citizen of the World

KGB is now a citizen of both the United Kingdom, and of Japan.

It was very simple to become registered here - all it took was my say-so, and I didn't even have to identify myself with any proof that I was who I said I was. Particularly, at the point on the birth certificate where it asks for "Father's profession" I wish I'd had the guts to say something interesting, like "Egyptologist" or "Trapeze Artist". Would have been a laugh in years to come, rather than "Tax Accountant"...

Contrast that with the bureaucracy involved in becoming Japanese. First of all they very nearly wouldn't let me register my own son at the Embassy, because they didn't believe I could read and write Japanese. Having got over that small hurdle, there was a whole series of complex forms that took about an hour to complete. And then checks, and more checks...

And then because Japan is so focused on the absolute loyalty of its citizens, when KGB hits 20, the Motherland will force him to make a choice: them or us. If he chooses Her Majesty, it's bye-bye to Imperial Protection, and my afternoon in the Embassy will have been for naught.

The whole experience reminded me of this one:
http://brashbyname.blogspot.com/2006/07/indefinitely-maybe.html

Labels: